HEALTH RISK MANAGEMENT
first-degree studies - 3 years (6 semesters)
Students of the undergraduate program in health risk management choose one of the following specialties:
· health risk management,
· environmental health and prevention of environmentally dependent diseases.
The education program for students of all specialties includes a common and integrated block of courses representing the general, basic and major subjects. The curriculum of specialization subjects takes into account the specificity of each specialty.
All the courses offer the graduates an opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills and social competence adequate to seek employment in the following organisations:
· District and Provincial Sanitary-Epidemiological Stations,
· Health care facilities (specialist clinics and primary health care),
· Education and upbringing boards and other educational institutions,
· State Sanitary Inspection,
· State Inspectorate for Environmental Protection,
· Public administration supervising the work of health and environment protection units,
· Administrative units holding the prevention programs,
· Scientific Research Institutes.
The graduate is prepared to seek admittance to second degree studies.
Profile of a graduate in health risk management
A graduate of the health risk management faculty shows the knowledge in the field of:
· the health status of the population of the World, Europe and Poland,
· health inequalities and their determinants,
· cause and effect relationships between exposure to negative environmental factors and the state of health of the population,
· risk factors important for health in the human habitat,
· correlations between exposure to environmental risk factors and the incidence of chronic diseases, including cancers,
· methods and measures to identify health risk factors,
· national and international activities regarding the legal basis of environmental management,
· national and international activities regarding the legal basis of health risk management,
· ways and measures to assess the population's exposure to environmental health risk factors and methods for evaluation of the health risk,
· legal grounds for of the risk control and supervision system,
· legal tools for health risk management.
A graduate of the health risk management faculty has skills in:
· initiating activities to improve public awareness of the health risk,
· health risk assessment and communication of the risks of various social groups,
· developing recommendations for prevention of environmental health threats to reduce health risk effectively,
· the use of theoretical knowledge, observation and interpretation of phenomena concerning the health of the population, allowing to clarify mutual relationship between health and environmental and socio-economic factors,
· developing programs based on primary prevention, reducing the body burden of certain chemical substances recognized as risk factors,
· developing preventive programs, including those based on primary prevention, aimed at anticipating or reducing the risk of disease development,
· critical assessment of the existing risk control and supervision systems,
· constructive, critical assessment of the leading trends and activities in the area of public health and health promotion undertaken in the local and national scale.
A graduate of the health risk management faculty has social competence:
· allowing to cooperate within international and interdisciplinary teams in the field of health risk assessment,
· allowing to solve public health problems in the field of health risk, using legal tools,
· allowing the dissemination of knowledge in selected social groups, creating and shaping their awareness of health risk management capabilities,
· to identify problems in the field of health risk,
· to communicate about health risks of various social groups,
· to work in research institutes and universities carrying out research and teaching programs in the field of health risk and risk management,
· to work in all units of health and environmental protection, where it is necessary toassociate health threats and develop preventive programs,
· to work in public administration supervising the work of health and environment protection bodies.