Before 1971, the School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze (formerly the School of Medicine and the Department of Dentistry) was the only faculty of the Silesian University of Medicine (formerly Silesian Academy of Medicine). Established in 1948 it consequently performed as the fundamental body of other schools.
The origin of the School dates back to 1946 when the Citizens’ Committee for Preparation of the Silesian Social Academy of Medicine made its first attempt to establish such school in Upper Silesia. Discussions held with General Jerzy Ziętek – the Vice-voivode of Silesia, assumed education of personnel for the primary health care (provided on social insurance basis), treatment of occupational diseases and launching the preventive programmes. The scientific and teaching background was supposed to be Polish School of Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Scotland and the equipment was to be supplied by Paderewski Hospital, also from Edinburgh, and financed by Paderewski Testimonial Foundation.
Future location would have been Rokitnica and Bytom while the organizational efforts were entrusted to Professor Antoni Tomasz Jurasz, MD PhD (1882-1961), founder of the School in Edinburgh. Soon after, in 1947, the project was cancelled. Changes of the political systems forced in Poland made the Foundation and Prof. Jurasz himself, withdraw from the challenge. Neither did the authorities approve of the idea, interested only in takeover of the equipment and promoting, instead of the Academy, establishment of an Institute providing specialist training programmes for the physicians.
Nevertheless, by ordinance of the 20th March, 1948, the Council of Ministers established the Medical Academy in Bytom, acting as a graduate school with a Department of Medicine including within its structures the Division of Dentistry. The first dean wad Prof. Tadeusz Pawlikowski, MD PhD (1904-1985), a the vice-dean – Prof. Mieczysław Jankowski MD PhD (1896 - 1978).
Today (the 23rd term of office, 2012-2016), the position of the Dean is held by Prof. Maciej Misiołek, MD PhD., and the Vice-Deans are Zenon Czuba, MD PhD, Sławomir Kasperczyk, MD PhD and Jacek Kasperski, MD PhD.
The School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze offers undergraduate programmes for English speaking students at the faculty of medical dentistry. The studies comprise 10 semesters and include theoretical, pre-clinical and clinical courses. The syllabus includes also a summer holiday internship. The programme has been designed to meet all the valid teaching standards. A student is awarded the professional title of a dentist.
The School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze offers undergraduate programmes to Polish speaking students at the faculties of medicine, dentistry and medical rescue.
In the academic year 2013/2014 the School of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry in Zabrze is attended by 1 979 students, including 1 247 students of medicine, 608 students of dentistry and 124 students of medical rescue.
Until the academic year 2012/2013 the number of our School graduates reached 7 779 physicians, 5 736 dentists and 189 paramedics.
The faculties of medicine and dentistry have been accredited by Polish Accreditation Committee (Resolution No. 822/2011 of the 22nd September, 2011 and No. 101/2010 of the 7th October, 2010.).
Teaching and Scientific Resources
At present, the School comprises 43 Chairs and 4 independent bodies (clinical departments and wards) in Zabrze, Bytom, Katowice, Sosnowiec and Tarnowskie Góry, as well as the Department of Doctoral Studies, the Department of Foreign Languages and the Department of Postgraduate Studies.
The academic staff includes 384 teachers, among those 52 professors, 3 extraordinary professors of the Silesian University of Medicine and 60 MD PhDs